- 1 1/2 lbs. Oregon pink shrimp. Do not wash.
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup celery stalks, finely minced
- 1 cup onion, finely minced
- 1 cup green pepper, finely minced
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Additional bread crumb for coating the cakes
- 1/2 cup oil for frying (or more as needed)
Wasabi tartar sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. white vermouth
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. wasabi paste (finely minced jalapeno pepper can be substituted)
For shrimp cakes, combine all ingredients except the breadcrumbs for coating and the oil for frying. Form the mixture into 8 1” thick cakes. Coat cakes on both sides with the additional breadcrumbs, patting the crumbs lightly into cakes.
Preheat 10” to 12” sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup oil. Cook four cakes at a time, four minutes per side. The should be nicely browned on both sides and heated through. Keep the cooked cakes warm in the oven while you prepare the remaining four. Use fresh oil for the second batch.
For tartar sauce, use food processor to puree ginger, wasabi, garlic, vermouth, sesame oil. lime juice and zest. Puree for three minutes. Add mayonnaise and sour cream and process until smooth.