- Six 6-oz pieces center-cut salmon fillet (about 1 inch thick) with skin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lime zest
- 6 tablespoons lime butter sauce (recipe below)
- Lime Butter Sauce:1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
Prepare sauce by puréeing garlic with lime juice, salt, and pepper in a blender until smooth. With motor running, add melted butter and blend until emulsified, about 30 seconds. Prepare grill for cooking over medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas).
Season salmon all over with salt and pepper, then grill, flesh sides down, on lightly oiled grill rack (covered only if using gas grill) 4 minutes. Turn fillets over and grill (covered only if using gas grill) until just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes more. Sprinkle fillets with zest and top each with 1 tablespoon lime butter sauce.
Note: If you aren’t able to grill outdoors, salmon can be cooked in a hot lightly oiled well-seasoned large (2-burner) ridged grill pan over moderately high heat.