Salmon: Current Season Management
- Salmon Hotlines, Websites, and Listserv
- 2014-April 2015 Salmon Management
- Salmon Fishery Regulations Booklet
- 2015 Process Schedule
Salmon Hotlines, Websites, and Listserv
Up-to-date information on inseason changes is available from the hotlines and websites listed below. You may also sign up for the NMFS West Coast Region Salmon Fishery Management Listserve to get e-mail announcements about salmon management.
- NMFS West Coast Region Salmon Website Ocean salmon hotline: (800) 662-9825 or (206) 526-6667. Recorded message is updated to provide inseason changes to the regulations as they occur.
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife California salmon fishing hotline: (707) 576-3429
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Oregon salmon fishing hotline: (503) 947-6000
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Washington fishing hotline: (360) 902-2500
2014-April 2015 Salmon Management
Each year the Council’s Salmon Technical Team (STT) and Council staff compile and verify information related to fishery statistics, including spawning escapement estimates. The management documents include:
- The SAFE document, Review of 2014 Ocean Salmon Fisheries; available early February
- The forecast used to set 2015 salmon fisheries (Preseason Report I, Stock Abundance Analysis and Environmental Assessment Part 1 for 2015 Ocean Salmon Fishery Regulations; available early March)
- The description of the Council’s proposed ocean salmon management alternatives for 2015 and characterization of their expected impacts on ocean salmon fisheries and the stocks which support them (Preseason Report II, Proposed Alternatives and Environmental Assessment Part 2 for 2014 Ocean Salmon Fishery Regulations; available March 20, 2015)
- The STT’s analysis of the 2015 ocean salmon fishery management measures adopted by the Council for submission to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce (Preseason Report III, Analysis of Council Adopted Management Measures for 2015 Ocean Salmon Fisheries; available April 24, 2015)
In addition, NMFS will publish an Environmental Assessment (EA) for the 2015 salmon management measures. You can get the document from this webpage when available. For historical EA’s, please see the Salmon Documents Library of Environmental Assessments.
Salmon Fishery Regulations Booklet
NMFS has made available their “online” salmon fishery regulations booklet. This booklet provides fishermen with a quick reference guide to the Federal regulations governing commercial and recreational salmon fisheries in the exclusive economic zone (3-200 nautical miles off shore) off Washington, Oregon, and California. Download the 2014 Federal Regulations for West Coast Salmon Fisheries Applying in the Exclusive Economic Zone (3-200 nautical miles) off the Coasts of Washington, Oregon, and California (Revised September 11, 2014, includes inseason actions thru #40). The booklet is also available by visiting the NMFS West Coast Region Salmon and Steelhead Fisheries webpage.
Inseason actions are also available on the NMFS West Coast Region Salmon and Steelhead Fisheries webpage.
Visit the 2015 Preseason Process for Salmon Management webpage.