NOTE: The Council does not administer fisheries assistance for COVID-19. Please see the links below for resources, or contact the Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission.
- California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife posts a CARES Act page for fisheries participants and communities (June 23)
- How CARES Act funds are allocated (May 14)
- The Midwater Trawlers Cooperative and state of Oregon are conducting a pilot project to test trawl fishermen before they head out to fish. (May 13)
- NOAA press release on CARES Act funding for fisheries (May 7)
Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission role
The Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission (PSMFC) is working collaboratively with National Marine Fisheries Service to distribute the funds appropriated by Congress for various fishery disasters. Currently, NMFS has requested the Commission administer the fishery disaster programs.
The Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act identified $300 million for fisheries and aquaculture. The PSMFC has been notified by the Department of Commerce that they will be assisting fishery participants affected by COVID-19 in multiple states, territories, and West Coast Tribes.
The distribution of funds will be determined by the states, territories, and tribes. As details become available, PSMFC will update their website.
Applications are not available at this time. If you have questions please call 877-695-3457 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A state-by-state guide to COVID-19 resources (useful!)
- Washington COVID-19 websites:
- Oregon COVID-19 websites:
- Oregon Work Share, an alternative for employers and workers who may be facing layoff. Instead of reducing staff, Work Share allows employers to reduce work hours. Partial unemployment insurance benefits are then paid to supplement workers’ reduced wages.
- California COVID-19 websites:
- California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development COVID-19 Response Page for Businesses
- Idaho COVID-19 business resources
Federal guidance for small businesses, including information on the Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program:
- Small Business Administration: Disaster Assistance
- Coronavirus: Small Business Guidance and Loan Resources
- The Small Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act. Information on Paycheck Protection Program loans, the Small Business Debt Relief Program, Economic Injury Disaster Loans and Emergency Economic Injury Grants, small business counseling, small business contracting, and small business tax provisions.
- The Coronavirus Emergency Loans, Small Business Guide and Checklist. Prepared by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to help small businesses and self-employed individuals prepare to file for a loan.