The Council adopted for public review proposed changes to the current Area 2A Pacific Halibut Catch Sharing Plan (CSP) and annual fishing regulations in Washington, Oregon, and California recreational fisheries for the 2021 season as follows:
- In the Columbia River subarea allow the retention of yellowtail, widow, canary, redstriped, greenstriped, slivergray, chilipepper, bocaccio, and blue/deacon rockfishes, Pacific cod, flatfish species, and lingcod north of the Washington – Oregon border on all depth halibut days.
- Remove the description of the South Coast Recreational Yelloweye Rockfish Conservation Area (YRCA) and the Westport Offshore YRCA from section 6.9.3 South coast subarea, h. Closed conservation areas of the CSP.
- Coastwide in Oregon allow all-depth halibut fishing and longleader gear fishing on the same trip.
- Change the end date in the California sport fishery from October 31 to no later than November 15.
In addition, the Council adopted for public review two options for the 2021 Area 2A non-tribal directed commercial halibut fishery periods:
- 10-hour periods, and
- 58-hour periods (0800 on day 1 to 1800 on day 3) starting on the fourth Monday in June, but could be open either:
- Suboption 1: Mondays – Wednesdays;
- Suboption 2: Tuesdays – Thursdays.
The Council is scheduled to adopt the final changes to the 2021 CSP and annual fishing regulations at their November 13-20 meeting held via webinar. Public comment materials received through the e-portal BY 5:00 pm, Monday, October 19, 2020, will be available to Council members and appropriate advisory bodies prior to the November meeting. Public comment materials received via e-portal after the October 19, 2020, 5:00 pm deadline, but BY 5:00 pm, Tuesday, November 3, 2020 will be included in the supplemental materials distributed to the Council on the first day of the November meeting. To submit public comment on this topic for the November Council meeting, please visit the Council’s November 2020 public comment e-portal.
For further information, please contact Ms. Robin Ehlke at (503) 820-2410; or toll free 1-866-806-7204.