Council Operations: Briefing Books
- Public Comment Deadlines
- How to Submit Public Comments
- What is a Briefing Book?
- Current Briefing Book Materials (November 2014)
- Briefing Book Archives
Public Comment Deadline – November 2014 Advance Briefing Book
Public comment materials received BY October 20, 2014, will be mailed to Council members and appropriate advisory bodies prior to the November meeting. This is known as the “Advance Briefing Book Deadline.”
Supplemental Public Comment Deadline
Public comments or materials received at the Council office after October 20, but BY November 5 will be included in the supplemental materials distributed to the Council on the first day of the November meeting. This is known as the “Supplemental Public Comment Deadline.”
How to Submit Comments
Written public comments are accepted by the Council via one of the methods described below. The public is encouraged to submit written comments as far in advance of the meeting as possible, either by mail, fax, of email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic copies of written testimony is encouraged.
- Comments received by 11:59 p.m. October 20, 2014 will be included in the briefing books mailed to Council members prior to the meeting.
- Comments received after October 20 but by 11:59 p.m. November 5, 2014 will be distributed to Council members at the onset of the meeting.
- If you cannot meet this latter deadline and are going to testify at the meeting, you can provide written testimony for distribution by one of the following methods at the meeting. However, please note these need to be provided to Council staff at the meeting well in advance of your testimony.
- Provide an electronic copy to be posted with other briefing materials, or
- Provide 40 photocopies with the Agenda Item Topic Number in the upper right corner of the front page of each copy. Refer to the attached agenda for the topic numbers; i.e., Agenda Item B.1 refers to public comment under Open Comment Period.
Comments in electronic format are preferred as they expedite posting to the Council’s website. Please email your comments to: email@example.com. Of course, we accept comments by “snail mail” and fax; please see our “Contact Us” page.
What is a Briefing Book?
The Briefing Book contains brief summaries that provide background for each agenda item, reports and materials for each agenda item, written public comment, and other materials to facilitate Council meetings (varying from hotel floor plans to special informational reports on fishing issues not on the agenda). Council members, Council staff, and chairs of advisory bodies and committees receive a copy of an advance Briefing Book. Because of the size of the Briefing Book and the effort required to create it, Briefing Books are not mailed to the general public. However, Briefing Book materials are available here, usually as PDF files, two weeks prior to Council meetings. All materials included in the Briefing Book, including the supplemental material provided to Council members and all reports, handouts, and statements generated at Council meetings, are available at Council meetings, usually on a table located in the hall outside the meeting chamber.
There are two Briefing Book deadlines. The first (and main) deadline is two and a half weeks before the Council meeting. Public comments and reports that are supplied before this deadline are included in the advance Briefing Book. The second deadline, known as the supplemental deadline, is four days prior to the start of the Council meeting. Public comments and reports provided by this deadline are given to Council members on the first day of the Council meeting. Comments can be emailed, mailed, or faxed to the Council.